09 July 2008

Get Java Certification


A lot of people know Java. It's one of the easiest programming languages to learn. But it's really different when Sun says you know Java.

It's been around for a while: I don't mean the exam, but my wanting to become a SCJP (Sun Certified Java Programmer). I've been putting it off for about a year now. But I've set a goal that I won't be able to avoid... I've scheduled my exam. In about 10 days, whether I want to or not, I'll take the exam. But what exactly is this exam? What can it do for you? Can I find out the meaning of life with it? I can hopefully somewhat answer all of these questions (err...maybe not the last one).

The SCJP (I'll be taking the one for Java 5) really tests your skills on Java. Unless you do nothing but explore everything there is to Java, your not likely to know all of the details that the exam questions you about. For most Java programmers, you'll usually have your own niche. Some part of Java that your really good at and maybe you'll know a bit about everything else. The SCJP exam tests good understanding of all the fundamentals. It's like the SAT for a job in Java. In other words, if you know all of this, you should be able to tackle most problems. If you really want the specifics, then feel free to look at the Exam Objectives.

What can it do for you? Honestly, I'm not sure but I think I have a pretty good idea. For one thing, most companies are going to get a whole bunch of people that claim to know Java. I mean, I've been taking Java since 11th grade and I only claim to "know" Java. One of my friends took about year (or a bit more), and he already claims to be "proficient" in Java (you should know who you are...). But in reality, there is no evidence or standard of judgment for this. If you really want to let a company know that you can program in Java, get certified! Hopefully, this should let you stand out (at least a bit) from all those other Java-programmer-wannabees.

If you already have a basic understanding of Java, don't go running of taking the test just yet. You probably want to take a couple practice/mock exams just to see if your ready. I haven't taken any yet, but I've been studying (and from the likes of it, I don't even think I'm ready for a practice exam). I'll see when I do take the exam. Until I do, if any of you guys are interested or need help studying, let me know and I'll try my best to help.

No comments: