10 July 2008

BitTorrent to the Rescue


File-sharing clients have come a long way. The cool clients now are those using the BitTorrent protocol. It wasn't recently that I discovered they existed, but it was recently I discovered a few cool things about them.

So, what's so cool that I discovered? Well, I knew that you had to download .torrent files and what not and then use those to download stuff. But I really didn't know what the trackers were and whole lot of other stuff. As for as I knew, finding torrents meant Googling it (which is always a good way to find anything).

The thing I didn't know was the existence of private trackers. The trackers that make sure their torrents are well seeded (meaning people share after they have downloaded the file). This almost guarantees amazing download speeds. Only problem is, this is kind of a closed society. Not only do you have to register to these, the registrations are usually almost always closed. They keep their members in check making sure their ratio (upload-download ratio) is good and that they don't just leech (download then not share).

Once you're in, it's still not paradise (almost though). You've got a wide selection of stuff and pretty good quality. However, some private trackers are more suited for certain things. A few for example have a good array of everything (Demonoid, BitSoup, Torrent-Damage). Those are basically all the ones I've seen. Although there are some other private trackers such as BitMeTV that focuses on just TV episodes. And from what I've heard the torrents this site offers is super duper fast.

So how do I get in? Well, you could check back periodically and if you're lucky, you might get in! (These sites usually have a cap such as 40,000 users so when people get kicked out, there's an opening for someone else) Or you could just run a program such as Tracker Checker 2 (download) or visit the site here.


One last thing, don't think that once your in, you'll always be in. If you get kicked out, it's pretty hard to get back in (or as far as I've heard). As for me, I don't think I plan on getting kicked out anytime soon.

No comments: