14 January 2008

Windows Vista: Really that Bad?

Many Vista users have been complaining about Vista's compatibility issues, battery life problems, and random other annoying features of Vista. I've come to dislike Vista almost as much as I dislike Macs. However, when I tried making the cookie copying article and some other stuff, I've come to realize maybe it isn't that bad.

Right after I wrote the article on secretly stealing cookies (See the article), I realized I never discussed what you can do if you have Windows Vista (and IE7 which comes installed). When I try to test out this program, first I find the cookies folder locked (gasp). Alright, so while I was at it, I tried another program that uses batch files to do some..umm..stuff. What the hell? I find out I don't have access again. What gives?

What I came to realize was that Vista's "least privileges" rule was actually "saving" my computer. While at the same time this property of Vista prevents users from opening a whole array of things without being bugged by the User Account Control (UAC), it also stops unwanted programs from executing scripts to access the registry or restricted folders.

Is it really that useful though? If you're an inexperienced user, maybe you'll read what UAC has to say the first couple times. Then you get accustomed to it and then click "Allow" every single time. What I found out was that Vista keeps a lot of things locked even UAC is turned off. So it might stop some people from doing stupid stuff but there's plenty of ways to get around this stuff.

Alright so Vista stopped me from doing some stuff. I figured out where the cookies were kept anyways without anything stopping me (see edit in IE Cookies: Yum!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've a customer who I don't want; so I sent him elsewhere to get a new computer. I told him where to go and what to buy & that it must have XP.
Instead, he went to Fry's and got an HP with Vista.
He paid me $400 to load his software & setup the PC. It was the slowest computer I've used in years. He complained that it was so slow as to be not useable. So I formatted the drive and loaded XP and re-loaded all the softare. I charged him $500 in labor.
I wish I had used a stop watch to just open Word. It became equal to the fastest computers (mine). It was maybe 1000 times faster. Maybe more.

Also, the damn pop up things like you mention make it almost unusable.
Also, MS changed the names for many of the same utilities, etc. Why? Were they just bored?
I've been networking / supporting PCs for 25 years, full time & am very "quick". Yet, I can't seem to work on Vista. Basically, I'm just going to refuse to support Vista PCs. I don't do Macs either, for the same reasons. Nothing is intuitive or easy.